One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A well or shaft drilled through rock, from which petroleum is drawn.
- ‘This is the first time an oil well has come under attack in Kirkuk,’ Amin said.’
- ‘If a prospector finds a new gold mine or the wildcatter brings in a rich oil well, the probability of other prospectors and wildcatters making equally valuable finds diminishes, however slightly.’
- ‘That comes from his immediate perception of the abysmal distance existing between the oil well and the specific consumer need for a precisely defined ‘standard’ product.’
- ‘The first oil well was drilled in 1859 in Pennsylvania.’
- ‘The first oil well in the United States, now a dry hole, was drilled in Titusville, Pennsylvania, by Edwin L. Drake only 145 years ago.’
- ‘In addition, within an oil reservoir and during the life of an oil well, the chemical composition can, and most often does, change.’
- ‘The person who needed help was confused over how to figure out the ‘pinhole’ position on the equipment that controls how far an oil well's pump goes up and down.’
- ‘There was a reporter who went directly to the place where a collapsed oil well killed many people.’
- ‘When Edwin Drake drilled the first oil well in Titusville, Pa., in 1859, he used washtubs for storage.’
- ‘An abandoned Iraqi Soviet-made tank sits in the Kuwaiti desert in April 1991 as an oil well burns in the background.’
- ‘Compensation for the land developed by the companies goes partly to the local budget and partly to the reindeer herding unit in whose territory the oil well is situated.’
- ‘His home will be demolished for an oil well to be built, but construction on his brand new 3-story home is in the works as well.’
- ‘Saboteurs blew up an oil well near the northern city, the sixth such attack in the past 10 days.’
- ‘In 1967, Anschutz discovered a major oil well in Wyoming, which soon caught fire.’
- ‘It's a natural oil well - you find them in Iran but almost nobody knows of them.’
- ‘‘There is no reason to expect that there is an excess in any types of cancer due to exposure to an oil well on the campus,’ says Cozen.’
- ‘The demand to fuel kerosene oil lamps sparked oil exploration in Australia, with the first oil well drilled in 1866 at Coorong, SA.’
- ‘Ferguson had bought the equivalent of an attractive bit of land that happened to be lying on top of an oil well.’
- ‘Today is the 119th anniversary of the first big oil well in the Washington field, designated as Gordon No. 1, which was drilled Aug. 8, 1885.’
- ‘The world's first successful oil well was discovered in 1858 in Canada.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.