One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A well or shaft drilled through rock, from which petroleum is drawn.
- ‘If a prospector finds a new gold mine or the wildcatter brings in a rich oil well, the probability of other prospectors and wildcatters making equally valuable finds diminishes, however slightly.’
- ‘The person who needed help was confused over how to figure out the ‘pinhole’ position on the equipment that controls how far an oil well's pump goes up and down.’
- ‘Saboteurs blew up an oil well near the northern city, the sixth such attack in the past 10 days.’
- ‘Ferguson had bought the equivalent of an attractive bit of land that happened to be lying on top of an oil well.’
- ‘Compensation for the land developed by the companies goes partly to the local budget and partly to the reindeer herding unit in whose territory the oil well is situated.’
- ‘In addition, within an oil reservoir and during the life of an oil well, the chemical composition can, and most often does, change.’
- ‘His home will be demolished for an oil well to be built, but construction on his brand new 3-story home is in the works as well.’
- ‘This is the first time an oil well has come under attack in Kirkuk,’ Amin said.’
- ‘The demand to fuel kerosene oil lamps sparked oil exploration in Australia, with the first oil well drilled in 1866 at Coorong, SA.’
- ‘That comes from his immediate perception of the abysmal distance existing between the oil well and the specific consumer need for a precisely defined ‘standard’ product.’
- ‘When Edwin Drake drilled the first oil well in Titusville, Pa., in 1859, he used washtubs for storage.’
- ‘In 1967, Anschutz discovered a major oil well in Wyoming, which soon caught fire.’
- ‘There was a reporter who went directly to the place where a collapsed oil well killed many people.’
- ‘An abandoned Iraqi Soviet-made tank sits in the Kuwaiti desert in April 1991 as an oil well burns in the background.’
- ‘The first oil well was drilled in 1859 in Pennsylvania.’
- ‘It's a natural oil well - you find them in Iran but almost nobody knows of them.’
- ‘The world's first successful oil well was discovered in 1858 in Canada.’
- ‘Today is the 119th anniversary of the first big oil well in the Washington field, designated as Gordon No. 1, which was drilled Aug. 8, 1885.’
- ‘‘There is no reason to expect that there is an excess in any types of cancer due to exposure to an oil well on the campus,’ says Cozen.’
- ‘The first oil well in the United States, now a dry hole, was drilled in Titusville, Pennsylvania, by Edwin L. Drake only 145 years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.