One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship designed to carry oil in bulk.
- ‘The seaworthiness of a visiting oil tanker was inspected by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency in Flotta on Tuesday.’
- ‘It was when he was in his early twenties and he was running his father's shipping company that an ageing oil tanker exploded and five people died.’
- ‘The short circuit caused a fire that in turn ignited the oil tanker and the chemicals at 12: 10 p.m. Thursday, he added.’
- ‘An oil tanker can carry a load that is far, far more explosive than any civil aircraft.’
- ‘In the early 1970s, a sub he was on collided with an oil tanker off the west coast of Scotland.’
- ‘In July it reported three attempted boardings in less than a week, with pirates firing automatic weapons at two gas tankers and an oil tanker.’
- ‘The harbor is full of yachts that make an oil tanker look small.’
- ‘An oil tanker was discharging petrol from Scapa Pier to the underground storage tanks at the depot when the leak occurred.’
- ‘Nicholls was competing in France in 2002 when the slick from the oil tanker Prestige hit the beach.’
- ‘It's like trying to sail an oil tanker down a narrow river.’
- ‘The Fire Service was on the scene within minutes of the simulated crash at 10 am, sealing the leak on the oil tanker and making it safe for the ambulance crew to enter.’
- ‘Gunmen attacked an oil tanker carrying fuel to the army and killed its driver, police said.’
- ‘The accident happened when an oil tanker ran aground.’
- ‘Now, besides repairing ships, the company builds one type: a refined petroleum product carrier, which is a smaller oil tanker.’
- ‘A series of fuel pipes ran up and down the ship's deck, suggesting that the vessel had been an oil tanker.’
- ‘A Hercules aircraft homed in on the boat's locator beacon and a merchant oil tanker eventually launched a lifeboat and was rowing the man to safety, said Jessup.’
- ‘The firm currently operates four vessels - three bulk carriers and an oil tanker - and has a fifth on order at Guangzhou Shipyard International.’
- ‘Wrecks available include the Rangoon, a 19th century sailing ship, and the Conch, an early oil tanker.’
- ‘In the past three weeks, pirates have also attacked another tug and an oil tanker in the same region.’
- ‘However, the captain and other witnesses on board the Limburg reported seeing a small boat strike the oil tanker just before it exploded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.