One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fine-grained sedimentary rock from which oil can be extracted.
- ‘In addition, there are large deposits of oil shale in the United States and several other countries.’
- ‘Beneath the main White Stone Band there is an interval of mudstone and bituminous mudstone with a further thicker (10 cm, lower oil shale) oil shale.’
- ‘From oil shale to ethanol to solar energy, the government doled out hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies and tax credits only to see market realities play out in a destructive way.’
- ‘If prices go high enough, alternative forms of energy exploration and things like oil shale can become viable.’
- ‘Shell Oil is working on a process that would heat the oil shale in place, which could have less effect on the environment.’
- ‘It was also postulated that the slow settling of organic material from the surface produced the bituminous carbonate layers known as oil shale.’
- ‘The term ‘fossil fuels’ is commonly used for the materials tar sands, oil, gas condensates, natural gas, coal, and oil shale and their products.’
- ‘If Peak Oil comes early we can keep vehicles moving using liquid fuels made from coal and oil shale.’
- ‘The biggest problem with mining oil shale comes as a result of heating oil shale rock.’
- ‘Gibling interpreted the assemblage of mudstone, coal and oil shale in the Cenozoic basins of Thailand as the product of deposition in environments where lake levels fluctuated.’
- ‘I happen to be a supporter of exploiting the oil that's in Alaska and oil shale that we can exploit in Canada and in the States.’
- ‘Can we replace rapidly depleting oil reserves with oil shale?’
- ‘Carbonaceous shale, including oil shale, occurs in beds of clayey to silty mudrock from 0.3 to 3 m thick.’
- ‘Retorting is the main procedure used for recovering oil from oil shale, a plentiful but difficult-to-process and environmentally-hazardous substance.’
- ‘He worked as a consultant for Chevron Corporation from 1981 to 2000 in the area of oil shale.’
oil shale/ˈoil ˌSHāl/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.