One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A structure designed to stand on the seabed to provide a stable base above water for drilling and servicing oil wells.
- ‘Britain's deadliest oil-related disaster was the 1988 explosion and fire on the North Sea oil platform Piper Alpha, which killed 167 workers.’
- ‘In the 1970s, some prickly US libertarians set up a republic on an oil platform near Tonga.’
- ‘We got hit and then made our way swimming under water to the oil platform.’
- ‘A sea police unit from West Java Police has arrested four people suspected to have stolen equipment from an offshore oil platform in north Java coastal waters.’
- ‘The world's largest offshore oil platform is still on an unsteady angle in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘The oil, approximately 560 gallons, was discovered by the crew of a nearby oil platform who were returning to the platform after being evacuated for Tropical Storm Arlene.’
- ‘Fabricating an oil platform takes energy, but for this you'd get a lot of energy out of the ground.’
- ‘The oil platform weighed 31.4 tons and had a height of 40 stories.’
- ‘An interim report into a gas leak on a North Sea oil platform which killed two workers was condemned by a union yesterday for apparently blaming the men for the tragedy.’
- ‘She said her job there, serving food to US troops, was more promising than her previous occupation, cooking on an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘It pulled a similar stunt by boarding this redundant oil platform en route round Scotland to be sunk in deeper water in the north Atlantic.’
- ‘But if what you can see of an oil platform is impressive, what's below the surface is equally dramatic.’
- ‘Ferguson knows that even if he decides to become a hermit on some oil platform in the North Sea for the rest of his life, his place in footballing history is secure.’
- ‘Whilst at the Natural Environmental Research Centre, his previous job, he advocated the deep-sea dumping of Shell's Brent Spar oil platform.’
- ‘The world's biggest oil platform, known as P - 36, sinks off the coast of Brazil after a series of gas explosions rendered it inoperable.’
- ‘Moving south to Fort Lauderdale, a classic site is the Tennaco Towers, an oil platform that was sunk in three sections.’
- ‘I have responsibility for the safety and technical integrity of an oil platform.’
- ‘More than 100 workers were evacuated from a North Sea oil platform last night because of a gas leak.’
- ‘The Iraqi oil platform in the north is called the Khawr Al Amaya Oil Terminal while the one in the south is called the Al Basrah Oil Terminal.’
- ‘The money was raised by workers on the Piper oil platform in the North Sea to buy presents for needy children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.