One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A widely cultivated tropical West African palm tree that is the chief source of palm oil.
Elaeis guineensis, family Palmae: several cultivars
- ‘Popular drinks include palm wine, made from the fermented sap of the oil palm, and home-brewed millet beer.’
- ‘Undoubtedly because of its multifunctionality, the oil palm and its bunches of palm nuts are a recurring feature in Akan royal arts.’
- ‘The minority view is supported by the fact that almost all the coconut palm's relations are American, the one important exception being the oil palm, which is African.’
- ‘I believe we can create plants with far greater oil productivity than the current tradition bio-oil sources such as canola, soyabean or oil palm.’
- ‘Research has revealed that oil palm grown as a monoculture upsets the flora and fauna ecosystem due to an absence of plant diversity.’
oil palm/ˈoil ˌpä(l)m/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.