One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device, especially a furnace, in which oil is vaporized and burned to produce heat.
- ‘I think the oil burner is making a funny noise and I get up and whack the carbon monoxide detector to make sure it's working.’
- ‘The difference between mother's waste oil burner and today's commercial models is vast.’
- ‘I was standing in my parents' basement, near the oil burner, which looked more like an old time furnace.’
- ‘A properly sized oil burner should run 45 to 50 minutes per hour when the temperature outside is the lowest it gets in your area.’
- ‘It's also not unusual for the soot and fly ash from a wood-fired combination unit to coat the head of the oil burner, requiring frequent cleaning of the oil-burner head.’
2A vehicle that burns oil as fuel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.