Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of the chief division of the Lakota people.
- ‘‘Mad Bear’ Harney deeply humiliated the Lakotas and convinced the Oglalas and Brules that the time had come to withdraw from the Platte.’
- ‘Browbeaten by the Oglalas, these Northern Indians resolved to leave the column, recruiting the crucial support of Touch the Clouds.’
- ‘Immediately, Red Bear's faction declared they were ready to break away, demanding that the Oglalas join them in flight.’
- ‘He served briefly as one of the four shirt-wearers of the Oglalas, an important honor.’
- ‘The five lodge circles indicate the position of the Cheyenne, and the Hunk-papa, Oglala, Sans Arc, and Miniconjou Sioux, when Custer attacked.’
- ‘These assurances seemed to lighten the Oglala's spirits.’
- ‘The leader joined Little Big Man with about twenty lodges of moderate Northern Oglalas, people willing to integrate themselves into the new life of the reservation.’
- ‘One year later 656 Northern Oglalas were released from custody and, under the leadership of Big Road, Little Hawk, He Dog, and Low Dog, transferred home to their kin at Pine Ridge.’
- ‘He was born in the Wyoming Territory in 1869 and belonged to the Oglalas, one of the seven bands of the Teton Sioux nation.’
- ‘The wintering location, sixty-five miles short of the Missouri, demonstrated that the Oglalas had no intention of locating at their new agency site.’
- ‘The Oglala did not understand the words that passed between the soldiers, but an interpreter told him that Lee was pleading with the officer of the day to allow Crazy Horse a council with Colonel Bradley.’
- ‘For the Oglalas at Red Cloud Agency and their Brulé neighbors at Spotted Tail Agency, the legislation meant they would have to relocate their agencies to Dakota Territory.’
- ‘By New Year 1878 mounting disquiet was undermining the impressive adherence of the Northern Oglalas to the peace process.’
- ‘Northern warriors taunted the Oglalas with the body of the war chief.’
- ‘Powwows are held at a number of communities in South Dakota on May 7, including the communities of Wounded Knee, Kyle, Oglala, Allen, and Porcupine.’
- ‘In all, some eighty lodges fled, including approximately twenty lodges of Miniconjous, fifty lodges of Oglalas, and ten lodges of straggling Brulés and Sans Arcs.’
- ‘Each time he went into the Black Hills to seek visions, he had asked Wakantaka to give him secret powers so that he would know how to lead the Oglalas to victory.’
- ‘Clark no doubt knew of the rumor-mongering, and he seemed to appreciate the Oglala's apprehension, but he was equally aware of the rumors circulating about Crazy Horse's intentions to revolt.’
- ‘On 21 December a party of Oglala led by Crazy Horse lured to destruction an 80-man column out of Fort Kearny.’
- ‘Some forty-four Miniconjous had chosen not to follow Touch the Clouds and were absorbed by the band of Young Man Afraid of his Horse, effectively becoming Oglalas.’
Relating to the Oglala.
- ‘After the flight, Oglala leaders confided their satisfaction to Captain Lawson.’
- ‘It will suffice here to mention just one instance of such a judgment, taken from Black Elk's account of the gift of the Sacred Pipe to the Oglala Sioux Indians.’
- ‘In 1972 Dick Wilson was elected chairman of the Oglala Sioux tribal council.’
- ‘In fact, the Oglala chieftain seemed delighted by the delay.’
- ‘If I have an ethical concern about this book, it is that Frazier over a long time was a cash cow and drinking companion for various Oglala acquaintances.’
- ‘Off he stormed with his Oglala warriors, and the war for the Bozeman Trail was on.’
- ‘My legendary great-great-grandfather, named Brown, is said to have taken an Oglala Sioux bride.’
- ‘Emmanuel Webster was fully Oglala Sioux on his father's side.’
- ‘Red Cloud sent an announcement to Agent Irwin, and to the disgust of Sherman and the War Department hawks, the Indian Office approved the Oglala decision.’
- ‘Meanwhile, another force of mainly Oglala Sioux under Crazy Horse moved downstream then doubled back, enveloping Custer and his men in a pincer movement.’
- ‘The conceit was to crosscut the wanderings of a contemporary car thief with a tale of the Oglala war-chief Crazy Horse.’
- ‘A group of military veterans from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation presented the Hawk Eagle family with an Oglala Sioux Tribe flag.’
- ‘Clark immediately directed the interpreter to ask the Oglala leader if he would lead some of his warriors against the Nez Perces.’
- ‘Louis received an M.A. from Brown University and has been an instructor at the Oglala Lakota College on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.’
- ‘Each morning Clark dispatched Oglala scouts to reconnoiter the trail.’
- ‘Other Oglala band leaders argued to retain the existing site.’
- ‘I try to keep up with him as he strides purposefully through the largest of several pastures for the Oglala bison herd, a 17,000-acre expanse of real-live prairie.’
- ‘In Rapid City the night before we leave, we meet an Oglala Lakota called Bob Hall.’
- ‘One such count, kept by an Oglala Lakota man named American Horse, designated the year 1780-81 with the simple phrase ‘Many died of smallpox’.’
- ‘Leonard Peltier, a member of the Oglala Lakota tribe, has gained worldwide status as a political prisoner and attracted the support of Amnesty International and many other organizations.’
The name in Lakota.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.