One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverb
1(of a player in certain sports) occupying an unlawful position on the field.
- ‘After 34 minutes Selby were caught offside in front of the posts.’
- ‘A fraction later the ball is headed down for Owen, but he's flagged offside.’
- ‘His long-range shot flew in off a post but the linesman saw a player standing in an offside position.’
- ‘Canham looked at least a couple of yards offside as he collected the ball on the edge of the Morecambe penalty area.’
- ‘In the opening game, Diouf was a magnificent player who seemed unfortunate to get caught offside a lot.’
- ‘Robinson added the extra two and a further penalty when the visitors strayed offside.’
- ‘Great footie players are deft at faking their way offsides without getting caught.’
- ‘I thought both times they had players offside and the officials felt the same.’
- ‘Then referee Presley deemed Smith offside a yard from his own corner with the ball heading the other way - a decision which was harsh at best.’
- ‘Italy get a free-kick wide on the left, from which De Rossi deliberately stands five yards offside.’
- ‘They managed it by surviving the first scrum and forcing their opponents offside, allowing O'Gara to kick them ahead from short range.’
- ‘As coach, he dragged players who ignored his leads, even if they were kicking goals, and put many players offside.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, Drogheda continued in confident mood in the second half, when a well organised defence constantly caught the home players offside.’
- ‘Running on to it with only Carroll to beat, Gimenez is penalised for being offside.’
- ‘Both teams were guilty of playing the game at least a couple of yards offside and handling the ball on the floor at almost every breakdown.’
- ‘I could see that Ashley Cole was trying to get back so I knew I wasn't offside and suddenly I had one of those shots where you just get your head down and hit it.’
- ‘Manager's and supporter's say nothing when their team score's an offside goal or a dodgy penalty and when one of their player's get away with cheating they never see it.’
- ‘The visitors clearly felt that the Trojans' player was in an offside position and they continued their protests long after the final whistle.’
- ‘Unfortunately for the home side both Howey and Dunne, and a least two others, were yards offside.’
- ‘Coe sneaking back from an offside position was allowed to play the ball and lob it over Bainbridge into the goal.’
- 1.1Ice Hockey Moving into the attacking zone ahead of the puck.
- 1.2usually offsidesAmerican Football Over the scrimmage line or otherwise ahead of the ball before the play has begun.
- 1.3Soccer In the attacking half ahead of the ball and having fewer than two defenders nearer the goal line at the moment the ball is played.
- ‘Murphy kicked another penalty goal in the 33rd minute of the first half for another offside infringement by the backs.’
- ‘Senegal get the ball into the Turkey goal after a mad scramble which had seen Camara block it on the line (I have no idea why) in an offside position.’
- ‘Athy dominated long passages of the half and won an offside penalty on 18 min which Derek Stacey slotted.’
- ‘A Pusam official protested the goal, saying the ball was kicked from an offside position.’
- ‘Instead he blamed Newcastle's opening goal four minutes from the break, tucked away by Nolberto Solano from an apparently offside position.’
The fact or an instance of being offside.
- ‘Cardiff's first points came in the 22nd minute when promising young centre, Lee Thomas, punished a Glasgow offside with a penalty.’
- ‘This was followed by a stand of 77 between Wayne Phillips and Ritchie before Phillips tried to crash the ball through the offside.’
- ‘Ashton had a try under the posts disallowed for offside after he raced onto an Adam Mitchell kick through.’
- ‘Wimbledon were able to reduce the lead with a second penalty from Wilde after a Gosport offside from their centres.’
- ‘Hawks seemed to have won the battle of wills when they were awarded the scrum for an accidental offside.’
- ‘After 15 minutes the unwieldy but effective Adam Pilling outwitted the Worcester goalkeeper, only to have his effort ruled out for offside.’
- ‘Clove Lloyd looked helpless, when despite having 7 fielders on the offside, Vishy was still able to play his royal square-cut.’
- ‘Threats to sue the Football League and create a new competition with no offsides or draws were just farcical.’
- ‘He often used the players and officials in his hockey game to show how plays are set up, what hand signals are used when describing penalties, or how to tell an offside.’
- ‘Drogba has a goal - very similar to Terry's, but from a free-kick on the other side - disallowed for offside.’
- ‘Sutcliffe was desperately unlucky to see a further effort disallowed for offside on the intervention of the touch judge but West's were looking dangerous at only’
- ‘Earlier, Danny Masumba's goal that would have made Celtic take the lead in the first half was disallowed in the 44 minute with the referee signaling it was an offside.’
- ‘And Dean Windass, who had a goal scrubbed out by a marginal offside, is also on the banned list after collecting his fifth booking.’
- ‘This sluggish play up front was emphasised by the large number of unnecessary offsides given.’
- ‘It was chalked off for a marginal offside although that didn't stop him playing up to the away fans beside the goal with a celebration dance.’
- ‘When Halifax were penalised again for offside he didn't let a second attempt through his grasp, kicking the goal with ease.’
- ‘In addition to a timeout, they were flagged for offside and somehow appeared surprised when the Colts went to quick snaps or semi-hurry-up calls.’
- ‘Helder Postiga has a header rightly disallowed for offside, but for a horrible split-second it looked like it was a good goal.’
- ‘They'd start shouting for offsides or a penalty claim.’
- ‘Nelson, like the rest of his Shakers team-mates, was seething at the decision to chalk off his late header because of a debatable offside.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.