One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not controlled by or directly connected to a computer or external network.
- ‘A final feature worth mentioning is the all-new inclusion of split-screen multiplayer for offline use.’
- ‘System administrators have historically relied on offline archiving for data backup and storage.’
- ‘Additionally, it allowed salespeople to synchronize data on their laptops for offline access - a specific demand of the sales force.’
- ‘Some initiatives work within the Internet, whereas others use the Internet more directly to facilitate offline activities.’
- ‘Although this was the first ever online virus description database, offline versions had existed long before.’
adverbalso off line
1While not directly controlled by or connected to a computer or external network.
- ‘Two more famous web sites were taken offline by their Internet service providers under orders from government authorities.’
- ‘All national schools were disconnected from the Internet the following day, with some remaining offline until the end of the week.’
- ‘E-mails went unsent and unanswered while the Internet was kept offline to protect the beleaguered system.’
- ‘It's our belief that people behave differently on the Internet than they do offline.’
- ‘Once in a while while surfing, the browser will do the same thing - the dialog box will ask if I should connect or stay offline.’
- 1.1 With a delay between the production of data and its processing.
- ‘The sheer volume processing offline was just not practical.’
- ‘The process is conducted offline - taking down the production system until the batch update is completed - because it takes so long.’
- ‘The data files are then offline processed through the software to estimate the attitude parameters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.