Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The more distant part of the sea in view.
- ‘We came past the island two days later and gave it an offing of over a mile compared to our usual half mile, with nothing to be seen, felt or smelt.’
in the offing
Likely to happen or appear soon.‘there are several initiatives in the offing’
likely to happen, on the way, coming soon, coming up, at hand, close at hand, near, imminent, in prospect, on the horizon, in the wings, just around the corner, in the air, in the wind, brewing, upcoming, forthcomingView synonyms
- ‘Now, with Berry's inquiry in the offing, it is likely to resonate with a much wider audience.’
- ‘Now there appears to be a savage credit crunch in the offing, and nobody seems to even notice.’
- ‘Increasingly, legal mandates are in the offing to force you to design and deploy technology that restricts what you and your users may do.’
- ‘Many payments to politicians were made at times when local and general elections were in the offing.’
- ‘With such a matrimonial event in the offing, it got me thinking today about the numerous weddings I've been to over the last few years.’
- ‘If they stretch their necks backward over their wings during the daytime this is said to be a warning of foul weather in the offing.’
- ‘It appeared that a friendly game of gin rummy was not in the offing, and I crept out of the room.’
- ‘With that kind of trend in place, do you see any kind of reversal in the offing?’
- ‘We could not approach industry for substantive new funding with the minister's initiative in the offing.’
- ‘Already 1200 applications have been received from across the country and more are in the offing.’
Early 17th century: perhaps from off + -ing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.