One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without careful thought or investigation.
impromptu, spontaneous, unscripted, ad libspontaneously, extemporaneously, ad libView synonyms
- ‘And that's just off the top of my head; I may have the dates wrong.’
- ‘I'd like to see you come up with something better, right there off the top of your head.’
- ‘There are differences in the economic and social policies advocated by the two parties, but I bet you can't mention a major one off the top of your head.’
- ‘We will receive a sheet of paper with one of a number of topical issues printed on it and then have to speak for two minutes off the top of our head.’
- ‘Someone's gathered a whole list of rain songs, but before you look, which ones can you think off the top of your head?’
- ‘And can you really divide $15.03 by two off the top of your head?’
- ‘He gives a very polished, professional performance with excellent comic timing to make the jokes appear impromptu and off the top of his head.’
- ‘How many words for marijuana, or for smoking it, can you think of on the spot, right off the top of your head?’
- ‘One little girl, only seven years of age, stood at the top of the classroom one day and told a story off the top of her head, capturing the attention of the entire class for twenty minutes.’
- ‘I thought you just remembered it off the top of your head.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.