One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without careful thought or investigation.
impromptu, spontaneous, unscripted, ad libspontaneously, extemporaneously, ad libView synonyms
- ‘I thought you just remembered it off the top of your head.’
- ‘I'd like to see you come up with something better, right there off the top of your head.’
- ‘And that's just off the top of my head; I may have the dates wrong.’
- ‘And can you really divide $15.03 by two off the top of your head?’
- ‘There are differences in the economic and social policies advocated by the two parties, but I bet you can't mention a major one off the top of your head.’
- ‘One little girl, only seven years of age, stood at the top of the classroom one day and told a story off the top of her head, capturing the attention of the entire class for twenty minutes.’
- ‘Someone's gathered a whole list of rain songs, but before you look, which ones can you think off the top of your head?’
- ‘How many words for marijuana, or for smoking it, can you think of on the spot, right off the top of your head?’
- ‘We will receive a sheet of paper with one of a number of topical issues printed on it and then have to speak for two minutes off the top of our head.’
- ‘He gives a very polished, professional performance with excellent comic timing to make the jokes appear impromptu and off the top of his head.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.