Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white color with a gray or yellowish tinge.[as modifier] ‘a frilly off-white blouse’
pale, white, milk-white, snow-white, whitish, off-white, cream, creamy, chalky, pearly, nacreous, ivory, alabaster, opaque, clouded, cloudy, misty, blanched, bloodless, anaemic, ashen, pallid, drained, pasty, wan, waxen, fadedView synonyms
- ‘Painted on top of each are geometric shapes that range from dark green to magenta to off-white.’
- ‘If you want an added detail on your shoe, go for a pair with off-white stitching.’
- ‘It was pale off-white, and had granite counter tops, and electronics galore.’
- ‘Khadi can often encompass many shades from oatmeal, to grey and off-white.’
- ‘White or off-white is always a safe bet in terms of color selection.’
- ‘He said the man was wearing off-white board shorts, no shirt and had a shaved head.’
- ‘Then they left it like that for a few days, the back walls brinded grey and off-white, like a hybrid cow.’
- ‘He changes his off-white shirt for a beige one that makes him look, if anything, even more preternaturally pale.’
- ‘Cream and off-white appeals to a wide audience and most people can contentedly ‘live with it’ in a new house.’
- ‘The opening shot reveals the hallway, painted a soft, off-white colour.’
- ‘Here, the background in both the hallway and dining room is off-white, a blend of creams and whites and eggshell.’
- ‘I slipped on a pair of off-white heels, grabbed my purse and ran downstairs.’
- ‘There was no chance of snowfall, and the sky was a fine, mottled china-blue and off-white.’
- ‘On his legs he wore a pair of off-white pants that cut off above his ankles.’
- ‘It was a pale blue with off-white trim reminding him of a beach cabin he stayed in for a week when he was a child.’
- ‘There are some great designs in off-white jackets - they look good with one of our designer linen shirts.’
- ‘The guy looked ultra-cool in his off-white muscle tee and a pair of beige Dockers.’
- ‘Colour tends to be dark grey on the dorsal surface, fading to off-white on the belly.’
- ‘We had one rack of mat samples which included a few shades of white and off-white in acid-free boards.’
- ‘His colour palette was more along the lines of a sombre grey, black, various shades of brown and off-white.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.