One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The activity or sport of driving a motor vehicle over rough terrain.
- ‘Despite eight inches of ground clearance and a nifty descent control that lets you safely crawl down hills, the X3-like the X5-is not really meant for off-roading.’
- ‘The engines have been further developed to offer more torque at lower revs and to operate at more extreme angles to cope with tough off-roading.’
- ‘The organizers promise plenty of exciting off-roading.’
- ‘Compared to other sports off-roading attracts large numbers of participants and large numbers of on-lookers.’
- ‘Rather than motocross or rally off-roading, the Ulysses is intended to potter along fire trails and bridle tracks.’
- ‘It also has information related to training if you fancy some off-roading!’
- ‘The ride quality is reasonable; the suspension is geared to off-roading rather than sheer comfort.’
- ‘We are determined to do all we can to save this site which is ideal for off-roading because of the varied terrain.’
- ‘He has designed and is building an off-road vehicle in his garage so he can go off-roading with his friends.’
- ‘I admit straight out that the most serious off-roading I did with the H2 was when I turned too wide for my driveway and put half a tire on my lawn.’
- ‘So if off-roading is high on your list of priorities, this latest diesel Landcruiser is top of the category.’
- ‘He admits frankly that the 4x4 potential for off-roading would rarely be used by customers.’
- ‘Cooling is also important, since most off-roading is done at very slow speeds with the engine and transmission straining against the terrain.’
- ‘In the old days off-roading involved clunking mechanical levers and double declutching.’
- ‘It also has an online travel magazine and a link to motoring advice on winter driving, off-roading and tyres - which carries the suggestion, you'll be amazed to learn, that you're better off with Michelin.’
- ‘I once witnessed a fellow journalist, who fancied himself as a dab hand at off-roading, make a simple mistake and get it all terribly wrong.’
- ‘Rangers from the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority have joined forces with the police to tackle the problem of illegal off-roading.’
- ‘The more a car has been designed for off-roading, the cleaner and less damaged it is.’
- ‘Many large 4x4 vehicles exhibit a certain amount of wander under such conditions, as off-roading requires a degree of looseness in this regard.’
- ‘And its results fall far short of what most Dales residents and visitors want - namely, a complete legal ban on off-roading in the national park.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.