Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjective & adverb
Away from a university or college campus.‘asked to live in an off-campus residence’
- ‘Universities could also benefit by providing both on-campus and off-campus students equal access to the Internet.’
- ‘For international students, however, residence - be if off-campus or on-campus - is a necessity.’
- ‘Affordable off-campus housing that's close to the university is only a dream for most students.’
- ‘Often college religious organisations avoid conflict by operating off-campus, or by simply winking at campus rules.’
- ‘In addition, Antioch students alternate periods of study on campus with periods of employment in a variety of off-campus settings.’
- ‘For students who lived off-campus the majority said they walked to campus, while cycling was next in frequency.’
- ‘Most universities cater to both on-and off-campus constituents.’
- ‘Other alternatives included leasing space off-campus, or implementing portable office spaces for the graduate students.’
- ‘The formal charge was violation of the university policy regarding off-campus parties and initiations.’
- ‘Scholarship funds were expanded for campus and off-campus students.’
- ‘Their video conferencing unit enables students to participate in off-campus lectures and seminars.’
- ‘As a reference specialist, Jordan spends much of her time handling off-campus requests for information, such as film clips.’
- ‘Once in college, students can work an off-campus job or, if eligible, a work-study job at the school to pay for personal expenses.’
- ‘We are sharing an apartment which is off-campus, but right next to the university.’
- ‘Over a period of eighteen months, there were twenty-three days of university lectures and five assignments completed off-campus.’
- ‘Residence has signed up 90 students who had lived off-campus last year.’
- ‘First-generation students are more likely to work off-campus and more likely to work full-time.’
- ‘As a sophomore at Florida State University, Elaine signed up to live in an off-campus private dormitory.’
- ‘Further, students studying off-campus are often already employed.’
- ‘This year's award focuses on teachers who have developed off-campus learning experiences for ISU students.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.