One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Mistaken.‘the boy is way off-base’
- ‘If Mr. Zakaria's diagnosis is off base, his remedy is incomprehensible.’
- ‘I think he's an idealist, which is good, but I think he's way off base here.’
- ‘Similarly, the initial hypothesis is often way off base and this subtly drives home the fact that whilst these people are supremely good at their jobs, no one is perfect.’
- ‘I don't imagine that these complaints are too far off base.’
- ‘I'd say the comparisons to Nazis and Hitler are not only off base, but a blatant attempt to further demonize America and its troops.’
- ‘I thought your editing was off base, by the way, as are most of your long-winded comments on this site.’
- ‘Sometimes he makes sense, sometimes he seems wildly off base.’
- ‘In reflecting on what I wrote yesterday about all the American soldiers being war criminals, I realize that I was way off base.’
- ‘Let me ask you something that, perhaps, is a little off base.’
- ‘The question was, are they off base, the party, in going into tax cuts and abortion which the public doesn't seem to be on their side with?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.