Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An order of predatory insects that comprises the dragonflies and damselflies. They have long slender bodies, two pairs of membranous wings, large compound eyes, and aquatic larvae.
- ‘Two Episodes in the seasonal regulation of Odonata can be distinguished.’
- ‘We have already noted that several species of Odonata respond to long photoperiods in spring by accelerating development.’
- ‘In contrast to YOY perch, predator-sensitive prey in the diet were dominated by Trichoptera, Odonata, and Coleoptera larvae.’
- ‘Associated fossils include other disarticulated insect remains such as Diptera (true flies) and Odonata (dragonflies).’
- ‘The Odonata appeared for the first time in the Permian.’
- 1.1as plural noun odonata Insects of the order "Odonata"; dragonflies and damselflies.
- ‘Hence, dominance is synonymous for resource holding potential, a term more commonly used in previous studies on odonata.’
Modern Latin (plural), formed irregularly from Greek odōn (variant of odous) tooth with reference to the insect's mandibles.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.