One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of predatory insects that comprises the dragonflies and damselflies. They have long, slender bodies, two pairs of membranous wings, large compound eyes, and aquatic larvae.
- ‘Associated fossils include other disarticulated insect remains such as Diptera (true flies) and Odonata (dragonflies).’
- ‘The Odonata appeared for the first time in the Permian.’
- ‘We have already noted that several species of Odonata respond to long photoperiods in spring by accelerating development.’
- ‘Two Episodes in the seasonal regulation of Odonata can be distinguished.’
- ‘In contrast to YOY perch, predator-sensitive prey in the diet were dominated by Trichoptera, Odonata, and Coleoptera larvae.’
- 1.1 Insects of the order Odonata; dragonflies and damselflies.
- ‘Hence, dominance is synonymous for resource holding potential, a term more commonly used in previous studies on odonata.’
Modern Latin (plural), formed irregularly from Greek odōn (variant of odous) ‘tooth’, with reference to the insect's mandibles.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.