One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of predatory insects that comprises the dragonflies and damselflies. They have long, slender bodies, two pairs of membranous wings, large compound eyes, and aquatic larvae.
- ‘In contrast to YOY perch, predator-sensitive prey in the diet were dominated by Trichoptera, Odonata, and Coleoptera larvae.’
- ‘Two Episodes in the seasonal regulation of Odonata can be distinguished.’
- ‘The Odonata appeared for the first time in the Permian.’
- ‘Associated fossils include other disarticulated insect remains such as Diptera (true flies) and Odonata (dragonflies).’
- ‘We have already noted that several species of Odonata respond to long photoperiods in spring by accelerating development.’
- 1.1 Insects of the order "Odonata"; dragonflies and damselflies.
- ‘Hence, dominance is synonymous for resource holding potential, a term more commonly used in previous studies on odonata.’
Modern Latin (plural), formed irregularly from Greek odōn (variant of odous) ‘tooth’, with reference to the insect's mandibles.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.