One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for measuring the distance traveled by a vehicle.
milometer, counterView synonyms
- ‘The travelled distance information is obtained from the odometer sensor.’
- ‘Yesterday, she broke that record by adding 80 feet to her odometer.’
- ‘The three-month old Aston has less than 6,000 kilometers on the odometer and Tom knows everything about the car.’
- ‘We tend to measure mileage based on the rate of travel by these winged odometers.’
- ‘It consists of an analogue tachometer with a digital LCD for speed, odometer, dual tripmeters, clock and water temperature.’
- ‘I got back home at 10.01 on the car digital clock, and the odometer told me I had done 100.1 miles since I last filled up with diesel.’
- ‘I tend to run those computers long, like people who drive a Honda Civic till the odometer reads 300,000 km.’
- ‘They are old, run-down, and don't have gas gauges or odometers.’
- ‘With 420 feet on her odometer, the rover is about to mark another half-way point.’
- ‘At the time of the sale to Mr. Stieger, the odometer reading for the vehicle was 42, 416 kilometres.’
- ‘Each bike had an odometer attached to record the distance travelled each leg, with the distance recorded at the changeovers.’
- ‘Use the reset feature on the odometer found in most vehicles or simply use a post-it note in your car.’
- ‘It took a few minutes before I noticed that I had just hit 78,000 miles… and my trip meter and my odometer are now completely in sync.’
- ‘On September 25, the image odometer ticked over to 50,000-and kept right on counting.’
- ‘In other words, ‘spinning out’ will cause a wheel-driven odometer to measure more distance between locations than actually exists.’
- ‘The driver can then look at the odometer to see if they are over or under that distance.’
- ‘Cruising is what it's about for Spirit this weekend, chasing one last mission objective of putting 600 meters on the odometer.’
- ‘Spirit has gone from here to here, and that distance is 2.25 miles on the odometer.’
- ‘I liked the odometer giving distance to the hundredths in case you really want to get picky about your mileage!’
- ‘There is something called trip meter that shows mileage per trip and an odometer that displays the accumulated mileage.’
Late 18th century: from French odomètre, from Greek hodos ‘way’ + -meter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.