One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Of or connected with the eyes or vision.‘ocular trauma’
optical, seeing, optic, eyeView synonyms
- ‘Patients with suspected ocular disease should be referred to an ophthalmologist for a full dilated ocular examination.’
- ‘In high concentrations, the smoke causes ocular and upper respiratory tract irritation in health care personnel.’
- ‘Other symptoms of polycythemia vera include headaches, transient neurologic or ocular complaints, and paresthesias.’
- ‘In one uncontrolled series, 12% of women developed ocular toxicity, some of them within a few months of starting treatment.’
- ‘A high index of suspicion can preserve vision and prevent further ocular complications.’
- another term for eyepiece
- ‘Thoughtfully this model features attached objective lens covers and a cover for the oculars.’
- ‘We determined DNA migration with an Olympus BMX60 microscope with a fluorescent beam source, measuring with a scaled ocular.’
- ‘Toshi was writhing on the floor, his golden-brown oculars full of agony for his sister.’
- ‘The drawings were made with an ocular with a grid and from photographs.’
- ‘The scout shouldered his Necrorifle, ducked behind a bush and handed his field ocular to his commanding officer.’
- ‘After several attempts to adjust the ocular, I saw a bright disc about the size of a moon but this was only because the scope was out of focus.’
- ‘The length of the largest starch grains was measured from three cells of the endodermis per cross-section with a micrometer ocular.’
- ‘Completely white oculars were framed by a rectangular mask that like Ko-chin's covered only the area of her eyes.’
- ‘His skin was a dark coffee brown accenting his bizarre crimson oculars.’
- ‘To the rear of the ocular is a European fast-focus eyepiece.’
- ‘She crossed her arms and stared into my eyes with those azure oculars.’
Late 16th century: from late Latin ocularis, from Latin oculus ‘eye’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.