One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or using a system of numerical notation that has 8 rather than 10 as a base.
- ‘All he needs is an octal cable to connect his AS to the other devices we choose to use, and he's all set.’
- ‘Yellowstone, which was announced more than a year ago, uses an octal data rate to deliver data rates up to a theoretical maximum of 3.2 Gbits/s.’
- ‘To use an access server, you'll need an octal cable.’
- ‘Access servers are devices with an asynchronous port that an octal cable can connect to.’
- ‘Then convert each of these groups into one octal digit.’
The octal system; octal notation.
- ‘Working on networks, I find there's always a need to convert between decimal, hexadecimal, octal and binary.’
- ‘In addition to binary and decimal, computers can also speak in octal and hex.’
- ‘We were taught to convert the usual base 10 into base 6 into base 4, into binary, into octal etc.’
- ‘About the only thing this calculator lacks is the ability to switch from decimal to hex to octal to binary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.