Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for simple eye
- ‘Our recent experiments raise a new question about the evolutionary relationship of ocelli to other sensory structures.’
- ‘The ocelli (eye-like spots) on the spinous dorsal fin of males are metallic blue, surrounded by a golden ring.’
- ‘Between the compound eyes are usually three simple eye, or ocelli.’
- ‘The ocelli, or eye spots, may reduce damage from fin-biting predators by mimicking the head.’
- ‘The expression in adults was observed in dorsal ocelli cells in the nerve code.’
2another term for eyespot (sense 1) and
- ‘Besides functioning as an identification feature, the ocelli also have anti-predator functions.’
- ‘They suggested that the color change is stimulated by perception of the background color by the larval ocelli and effected by a neurophysiological pathway.’
- ‘Transverse cuticular wrinkles arranged in a tight parallel pattern form a ring posterior to the ocelli and encircle about 25% of the cephalothorax.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of oculus ‘eye’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.