One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for simple eye
- ‘Our recent experiments raise a new question about the evolutionary relationship of ocelli to other sensory structures.’
- ‘Between the compound eyes are usually three simple eye, or ocelli.’
- ‘The expression in adults was observed in dorsal ocelli cells in the nerve code.’
- ‘The ocelli, or eye spots, may reduce damage from fin-biting predators by mimicking the head.’
- ‘The ocelli (eye-like spots) on the spinous dorsal fin of males are metallic blue, surrounded by a golden ring.’
2another term for eyespot (sense 1) and
- ‘Transverse cuticular wrinkles arranged in a tight parallel pattern form a ring posterior to the ocelli and encircle about 25% of the cephalothorax.’
- ‘Besides functioning as an identification feature, the ocelli also have anti-predator functions.’
- ‘They suggested that the color change is stimulated by perception of the background color by the larval ocelli and effected by a neurophysiological pathway.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of oculus ‘eye’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.