One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of science that deals with the physical and biological properties and phenomena of the sea.
- ‘A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Cane has written nearly 200 papers on a broad range of topics in oceanography and climatology.’
- ‘Dynamic oceanography may result in dynamic recruitment success.’
- ‘Ashore there will be a vast interactive exhibition area with displays on international marine technology, oceanography and ecology.’
- ‘In 1855, Maury wrote the first textbook on modern oceanography, The Physical Geography of the Sea and Its Meteorology.’
- ‘I've been privileged to interact with many of the great scientists who led oceanography in the postwar era.’
- ‘Science on the reef embraces so many diverse and alluring fields: marine ecology, oceanography, plate tectonics, ethnobiology, and more.’
- ‘These salinity changes are unprecedented in the relatively short history of the science of oceanography.’
- ‘This web of activity is made all the worse by the influence of microclimates, complex oceanography, and unique geographical features.’
- ‘Both students are in the biological oceanography curricular group at Scripps.’
- ‘The National Research Council has ranked Scripps first in faculty quality among oceanography programs nationwide.’
- ‘Physics and physical oceanography thus immediately became vital to the national war effort.’
- ‘At the end of the '60s, earth sciences was added to the marine biology and oceanography degrees offered at Scripps.’
- ‘After trying his hand at biological oceanography in college, Waltuck traveled throughout Europe for six months.’
- ‘He specializes in ocean acoustics, signal processing and physical oceanography.’
- ‘That is in fact a very important part of the physical oceanography of the Great Barrier Reef.’
- ‘Munk was honored with the 1999 Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences for his fundamental contributions to the field of oceanography.’
- ‘I thought you weren't keeping up with what went on in the rest of the world outside of marine biology and oceanography.’
- ‘In 1968, he was appointed professor of oceanography.’
- ‘Interpretive exhibits highlight Scripps research as well as the history of oceanography.’
- ‘Climatology, evolutionary biology, oceanography, and plate tectonics all got a jump start from Challenger's results.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.