Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of science that deals with the physical and biological properties and phenomena of the sea.
- ‘He specializes in ocean acoustics, signal processing and physical oceanography.’
- ‘The National Research Council has ranked Scripps first in faculty quality among oceanography programs nationwide.’
- ‘Both students are in the biological oceanography curricular group at Scripps.’
- ‘At the end of the '60s, earth sciences was added to the marine biology and oceanography degrees offered at Scripps.’
- ‘Physics and physical oceanography thus immediately became vital to the national war effort.’
- ‘These salinity changes are unprecedented in the relatively short history of the science of oceanography.’
- ‘I thought you weren't keeping up with what went on in the rest of the world outside of marine biology and oceanography.’
- ‘Science on the reef embraces so many diverse and alluring fields: marine ecology, oceanography, plate tectonics, ethnobiology, and more.’
- ‘A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Cane has written nearly 200 papers on a broad range of topics in oceanography and climatology.’
- ‘Munk was honored with the 1999 Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences for his fundamental contributions to the field of oceanography.’
- ‘That is in fact a very important part of the physical oceanography of the Great Barrier Reef.’
- ‘In 1855, Maury wrote the first textbook on modern oceanography, The Physical Geography of the Sea and Its Meteorology.’
- ‘After trying his hand at biological oceanography in college, Waltuck traveled throughout Europe for six months.’
- ‘I've been privileged to interact with many of the great scientists who led oceanography in the postwar era.’
- ‘Climatology, evolutionary biology, oceanography, and plate tectonics all got a jump start from Challenger's results.’
- ‘Dynamic oceanography may result in dynamic recruitment success.’
- ‘Ashore there will be a vast interactive exhibition area with displays on international marine technology, oceanography and ecology.’
- ‘This web of activity is made all the worse by the influence of microclimates, complex oceanography, and unique geographical features.’
- ‘Interpretive exhibits highlight Scripps research as well as the history of oceanography.’
- ‘In 1968, he was appointed professor of oceanography.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.