One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Either of two muscles covering the outer front part of the pelvis on each side and involved in movements of the thigh and hip.
- ‘The surgeon uses a special hip arthroscopy cannula with cannulated obturators to establish the portals.’
- ‘The lateral femoral circumflex may give rise to an obturator.’
- ‘In one case the iliolumbar was a branch of the obturator, itself a branch of the internal iliac.’
- ‘The obturator may communicate with the femoral vein.’
- ‘These branches supply the pectineus, the hip joint, and, by rejoining the obturator, the adductor muscles.’
- 1.1as modifier Relating to the obturator or to the obturator foramen.‘obturator neurectomy’
- ‘No tumor was detected in the right and left obturator lymph nodes.’
- ‘Metastatic prostatic and transitional cell carcinomas were present in a single obturator lymph node.’
- ‘The femoral, lateral cutaneous, and obturator nerves exit from the lumbar plexus.’
- ‘The obturator nerve is located in the fascia directly under the pubic bone.’
- ‘The obturator artery is very variable in origin and no embryological explanation has been found.’
Early 18th century: from medieval Latin, literally ‘obstructor’, from obturare ‘stop up’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.