Severe or complete constipation.
- ‘She had a 3-day history of acute-onset abdominal pain, vomiting, abdominal distension, and obstipation.’
- ‘About 20% of the patients with chronic obstipation has slow colon passage.’
- ‘A 71-year-old white man with no prior history of malignancy and a 2-week history of obstipation, increasing abdominal girth, and abdominal cramping sought medical attention after he began passing bright red blood per rectum.’
- ‘Cramping pain, little vomiting, constipation and obstipation, distension, loud borborygmi and little loss of electrolytes.’
- ‘A 27-year-old man presented to the emergency department with a 3-day history of progressively worsening abdominal pain, nausea, emesis, and obstipation following a weekend drinking binge.’
Late 16th century: alteration of constipation, by substitution of the prefix ob- for con-.