One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or condition of being obstinate; stubbornness.‘his reputation for obstinacy’
stubbornness, inflexibility, intransigence, intractability, intractableness, obduracy, mulishness, pig-headedness, bull-headedness, wilfulness, self-will, strong-mindedness, contrariness, perversity, perverseness, uncooperativeness, recalcitrance, refractoriness, unmanageableness, stiffness, rigidity, steeliness, implacability, relentlessness, immovability, persistence, persistency, tenacity, tenaciousness, doggedness, pertinacity, pertinaciousness, single-mindedness, firmness, steadfastness, determinationView synonyms
- ‘Experimental films owe their sole existence to the perseverance and obstinacy of the filmmakers, sometimes at the risk of their lives.’
- ‘He hoped his parents would not be difficult for he was not in the mood for their stubborn obstinacy.’
- ‘The obduracy and obstinacy of human beings is what enables them to fight for their countries, repel invaders and maintain their solidarity.’
- ‘His persistence, even obstinacy, marked him out.’
- ‘If Richards's film is a tribute to the tenacity of the treasure hunters, its very existence is proof of his dogged obstinacy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.