One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or condition of being obstinate; stubbornness.‘his reputation for obstinacy’
stubbornness, inflexibility, intransigence, intractability, intractableness, obduracy, mulishness, pig-headedness, bull-headedness, wilfulness, self-will, strong-mindedness, contrariness, perversity, perverseness, uncooperativeness, recalcitrance, refractoriness, unmanageableness, stiffness, rigidity, steeliness, implacability, relentlessness, immovability, persistence, persistency, tenacity, tenaciousness, doggedness, pertinacity, pertinaciousness, single-mindedness, firmness, steadfastness, determinationView synonyms
- ‘He hoped his parents would not be difficult for he was not in the mood for their stubborn obstinacy.’
- ‘Experimental films owe their sole existence to the perseverance and obstinacy of the filmmakers, sometimes at the risk of their lives.’
- ‘The obduracy and obstinacy of human beings is what enables them to fight for their countries, repel invaders and maintain their solidarity.’
- ‘If Richards's film is a tribute to the tenacity of the treasure hunters, its very existence is proof of his dogged obstinacy.’
- ‘His persistence, even obstinacy, marked him out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.