Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Able to be noticed or perceived; discernible.‘observable differences’
noticeable, visible, perceptible, perceivable, detectable, discernible, recognizable, obvious, evident, manifest, patent, clear, distinct, plain, overt, conspicuous, palpable, distinguishable, unmistakable, unconcealed, apparentsensibleView synonyms
- ‘Other realms might exist beyond the edge of our observable universe, or in extra dimensions we are unable to perceive.’
- ‘The photograph emerges from the world of non-fiction, it is the product and evidence of the observable world.’
- ‘One feels in the presence of obvious intelligence and observable skill.’
- ‘Since all observable objects have some definitive shape and size then atoms do also.’
- ‘In this regard, sad to say, brain events appear to be no more transparent than other observable events like reaction time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.