(of a leaf) ovate with the narrower end at the base.
oval, egg-shaped, elliptic, ovate, ovoid, oviform, ellipsoidalView synonyms
- ‘Juvenile plants and regrowth stems usually have obovate leaves, but these are soon deciduous and rarely appear on older stems.’
- ‘Most of the species studied have a pollinarium composed by four superimposed, obovate to rotund, unequal (two larger, two smaller) pollinia.’
- ‘Seed number, size, and fruit shape all can vary on a single plant, with the smaller, more obovate fruits generally having fewer and smaller seeds.’
- ‘The shape is most similar to petaloid A, but the deep emargination is more similar to that of the obovate shape.’
- ‘The scales of the cone are thin, obovate and have rounded edges.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.