One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The condition of being grossly fat or overweight.‘the problem of obesity among children’
plumpness, stoutness, heaviness, largeness, chubbiness, portliness, rotundity, flabbiness, paunchiness, dumpiness, meatinessfatness, corpulence, stoutness, fleshiness, heaviness, plumpness, portliness, chubbiness, rotundity, bulkiness, flabbiness, grossnessView synonyms
- ‘New statistics on childhood obesity prove this is caused by a decline in outside play and walking to school.’
- ‘Combine poor diet with lack of exercise and you have a population with real problems of obesity and ill health.’
- ‘Earlier it was seen as a sign of health and wealth, now obesity is a sign of poor health and poverty.’
- ‘Rapidly increasing rates of obesity have disguised relatively small changes in weight.’
- ‘Unless we wake up to the problems caused by obesity, we're going to see soaring rates of this condition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.