The condition of being grossly fat or overweight.‘the problem of obesity among children’
plumpness, stoutness, heaviness, largeness, chubbiness, portliness, rotundity, flabbiness, paunchiness, dumpiness, meatinessView synonyms
- ‘New statistics on childhood obesity prove this is caused by a decline in outside play and walking to school.’
- ‘Earlier it was seen as a sign of health and wealth, now obesity is a sign of poor health and poverty.’
- ‘Combine poor diet with lack of exercise and you have a population with real problems of obesity and ill health.’
- ‘Rapidly increasing rates of obesity have disguised relatively small changes in weight.’
- ‘Unless we wake up to the problems caused by obesity, we're going to see soaring rates of this condition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.