One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of sorcery practiced especially in the Caribbean.
- ‘Many Creoles and Garifuna believe in obeah, or witchcraft.’
- ‘Some still fear the African-derived black magic called obeah that is common in the Caribbean region.’
- ‘Informal social control occurs through peer pressure, gossip, and fear of harmful magic known as obeah.’
- ‘You see somebody with a beautiful religious artifact, and you don't want to touch it - you're afraid of some obeah jumping out of it to get you.’
- ‘Although it has been illegal for a long time, obeah, the traditional witchcraft of the Caribbean, still exists.’
Akan, from bayi ‘sorcery’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.