One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inability to see in dim light or at night.Also called night blindness
- ‘The insensitivity to dim stimuli is accompanied by a mild nyctalopia.’
- ‘The fact that an abnormal result occurs in 26%, however, suggests that ncytalopia should be evaluated with electrophysiological testing even when the fundi appear normal.’
- ‘About 90% of the female portion of the study suffer from Nyctalopia.’
- ‘Ophthalmologists are occasionally confronted with an individual presenting with nyctalopia (ie, a relatively greater difficulty seeing at night).’
- ‘Fundus examination is usually normal, distinguishing it from the progressive conditions causing nyctalopia.’
Late 17th century: via late Latin from Greek nuktalōps, from nux, nukt- ‘night’ + alaos ‘blind’ + ōps ‘eye’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.