One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hard woody covering around the kernel of a nut.
- ‘Notably, however, the remains present are fruit stones and nutshells, items that would have been discarded during the final preparation of a meal or at the time of consumption.’
- ‘Similarly, hickory, walnut, and acorn nutshells have been recovered from Late Paleoindian and Early Archaic contexts at the Hester site, Smith's Ferry, Pickens County, and Rodgers Shelter.’
- ‘Soon their way veered from the shoreline, and they walked under large canopies of beech trees that dropped nutshells at their feet.’
- ‘Fruits and vegetables were available at the time according to the discovery on the same site of fruit stones, nutshells and more stools containing leeks and other vegetable matter.’
- ‘It is made from the luohan guo, a round brown fruit with crisp nutshells.’
in a nutshell
In the fewest possible words.‘she put the matter in a nutshell’
in short, briefly, in brief, to put it briefly, to cut a long story short, in a word, to sum up, in sum, to come to the point, in essence, in outlineView synonyms
- ‘Yet, in a nutshell, it lacks the originality that it would take to launch a musical revolution.’
- ‘There, in a nutshell, is the source material for countless books.’
- ‘The news from all my friends in a nutshell: our parents are getting old and sick.’
- ‘These famous lines of Shakespeare aptly describe the human life in a nutshell as perhaps no other verse manages to do.’
- ‘And this, in a nutshell, is the story of Portuguese wine over the past 20 years.’
- ‘Its brief, in a nutshell, is to showcase works of art to as broad a spectrum of people as possible.’
- ‘Here, then, is their perspective in a nutshell, and it's a despicable sight.’
- ‘This, in a nutshell, summarizes the uphill battle of perception facing hedge funds.’
- ‘So in a nutshell that's what I've been up to since Wednesday - drinking too much, not sleeping enough.’
- ‘That's pretty much the last ten years of American political history in a nutshell.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.