Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spicy Vietnamese fish sauce.
- ‘He wants to try a sorbet made of nuoc mam, the Vietnamese fermented fish sauce that is a staple in most dishes, though not an obvious ingredient in desserts.’
- ‘All dishes were accompanied by a tasty dipping sauce, which I'm suspecting was some sort of diluted nuoc mam (fermented fish sauce, but much nicer than you think).’
- ‘A common traditional food of Vietnam is nuoc mam, a liquid sauce made from fermented fish.’
- ‘This type of fish sauce can be the basis of a sauce incorporating other ingredients, for example the nuoc cham of Vietnam, made with nuoc mam, garlic, chilli, and lime juice.’
- ‘Combine the prawns with the remaining nuoc mam, garlic and pepper.’
nuoc mam/nəˌwäk ˈmäm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.