One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of knowledge that deals with the occult significance of numbers.
- ‘Fortune tellers are known for using basic principles and techniques such as math, numerology and Cabalistic symbolism.’
- ‘Second, there are socially shared superstitions such as the bad luck associated with black cats or divination systems such as numerology.’
- ‘Much of classical astrology developed as a result of the Hellenistic perspective towards numerology and geometry.’
- ‘There are so many tools to choose from here I could possibly list them all but as we all know some of the best known are the tarot, runes, numerology, palmistry, tea leaves I ching and scrying.’
- ‘During the reading my psychic used such ancient arts as numerology, astrology, palmistry, tarot cards and rune stones and even found hidden meaning in the color of my tie.’
- ‘Other spiritual methods of searching for one's soulmate are astrology, numerology, palm reading, personality types, and magic.’
- ‘The testimonials for numerology and the telephone psychics are quite similar.’
- ‘Some people attribute to it something like the mystery of pi and occult numerology.’
- ‘Palmistry, numerology, naadi jyotisham and the Western and Eastern star signs are some of the better-known methods of knowing about one's future and sometimes, the past.’
- ‘Here, the suspension of disbelief is somewhat trickier, because a great deal of Smiley's data on these beasts comes from telepathy, numerology or astrology.’
- ‘They study astrology, crystal gazing, numerology, transfiguration, and divination.’
- ‘These combine numerology and astrology - knowledge, as he put it, that had remained ‘a forbidden fruit since the dawn of civilisation’.’
- ‘Inside was a large brown bookshelf, jam-packed with mysterious tomes that discussed numerology, tarot, astrology, and other assorted occult subjects.’
- ‘Biorhythm theory is based more on numerology, testimonials and the Forer effect, mass media hype, and intuition than on scientific study.’
- ‘But science gave us the worldwide web, and the web hums with magic - with numerology and geomancy and 101 ways to win the lottery.’
- ‘This will lead to more happiness, but can only be done with the help of numerology and astrology.’
- ‘She did numerology and astrology and tarot with an uncanny instinct.’
- ‘Newtown is the place to be this month if you have an interest in palmistry, astrology, numerology, Egyptian sand reading or other forms of divination.’
- ‘The contrast between the latest textbooks on information technology on the one hand, and the guides to astrology palmistry and numerology on the other, is startling.’
- ‘Callahan expresses his belief in the efficacy of numerology and ‘card reading.’’
Early 20th century: from Latin numerus ‘a number’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.