Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of knowledge that deals with the occult significance of numbers.
- ‘They study astrology, crystal gazing, numerology, transfiguration, and divination.’
- ‘Callahan expresses his belief in the efficacy of numerology and ‘card reading.’’
- ‘Palmistry, numerology, naadi jyotisham and the Western and Eastern star signs are some of the better-known methods of knowing about one's future and sometimes, the past.’
- ‘Inside was a large brown bookshelf, jam-packed with mysterious tomes that discussed numerology, tarot, astrology, and other assorted occult subjects.’
- ‘Some people attribute to it something like the mystery of pi and occult numerology.’
- ‘Biorhythm theory is based more on numerology, testimonials and the Forer effect, mass media hype, and intuition than on scientific study.’
- ‘During the reading my psychic used such ancient arts as numerology, astrology, palmistry, tarot cards and rune stones and even found hidden meaning in the color of my tie.’
- ‘The testimonials for numerology and the telephone psychics are quite similar.’
- ‘But science gave us the worldwide web, and the web hums with magic - with numerology and geomancy and 101 ways to win the lottery.’
- ‘Newtown is the place to be this month if you have an interest in palmistry, astrology, numerology, Egyptian sand reading or other forms of divination.’
- ‘Second, there are socially shared superstitions such as the bad luck associated with black cats or divination systems such as numerology.’
- ‘Other spiritual methods of searching for one's soulmate are astrology, numerology, palm reading, personality types, and magic.’
- ‘Here, the suspension of disbelief is somewhat trickier, because a great deal of Smiley's data on these beasts comes from telepathy, numerology or astrology.’
- ‘Fortune tellers are known for using basic principles and techniques such as math, numerology and Cabalistic symbolism.’
- ‘She did numerology and astrology and tarot with an uncanny instinct.’
- ‘The contrast between the latest textbooks on information technology on the one hand, and the guides to astrology palmistry and numerology on the other, is startling.’
- ‘There are so many tools to choose from here I could possibly list them all but as we all know some of the best known are the tarot, runes, numerology, palmistry, tea leaves I ching and scrying.’
- ‘These combine numerology and astrology - knowledge, as he put it, that had remained ‘a forbidden fruit since the dawn of civilisation’.’
- ‘This will lead to more happiness, but can only be done with the help of numerology and astrology.’
- ‘Much of classical astrology developed as a result of the Hellenistic perspective towards numerology and geometry.’
Early 20th century: from Latin numerus a number + -logy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.