One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of mathematics that deals with the development and use of numerical methods for solving problems.
- ‘Other areas he wrote on included algebra (where among other topics he studied the theory of permutation matrices), geometry, mathematical and numerical analysis, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
- ‘Hartree was basically a theoretical physicist, and he developed powerful methods in numerical analysis.’
- ‘The discovery of the binomial theorem for integer exponents by al-Karaji was a major factor in the development of numerical analysis based on the decimal system.’
- ‘Hamming also worked on numerical analysis, integrating differential equations, and the Hamming spectral window which is much used in computation for smoothing data before Fourier analysing it.’
- ‘With co-workers L Blum and M Shub, he has developed a model of computation which includes both the Turing machine approach and the numerical methods of numerical analysis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.