One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stupid or foolish person.
- ‘And those numbskulls down the street are apologizing for failing to pass anti-lynching laws 100 years ago.’
- ‘Glasgow's put upon tourism wallahs must have watched The Hand of God with dismay as another herd of sectarian numbskulls blackened the city's reputation in front of a UK audience numbering millions.’
- ‘It is one of the supreme ironies of feminism that after cajoling and haranguing males to be more sensitive to emotional cues, Botoxed women display all the facial animation of literal numbskulls.’
- ‘The game could be described as a simple left-to-right-scrolling romp in which a costumed numbskull fights baddies before battling an oddball boss, but this really wouldn't do it justice.’
- ‘In case anyone is planning on it, my advice is: you'll hardly find any more than fifteen numbskulls ready to sign the thing, so don't be disappointed!’
- ‘A ten second bout of fisticuffs from the numbskulls who play for Newcastle United seemed to dominate the sports news for an entire week.’
- ‘I give the nice lady painstakingly detailed directions, not that it's hard to explain, but I want to make sure that the halfwit numbskull who will next attempt to deliver my package has more than enough information to do his very simple job.’
- ‘Now various unreflective numbskulls seem to think that there is a contradiction between consuming American culture and being critical of the U.S. government.’
- ‘What in the hell were these numbskulls thinking?’
- ‘Sure, numbskulls still permeate every stadium, and the larger the following and the more successful a club become, the bigger the proportion of obnoxious fans.’
- ‘After all does it not confirm their stereotyping of the US as the land of gun-toting numbskulls who shoot first and ask questions later?’
- ‘He exorcised the assumption the free market was only for numbskulls.’
- ‘Is an isolated outbreak of yobbery involving a few dozen numskulls really going to dissuade the private sector from investing in, and profiting from, a new business deal?’
- ‘He's clearly not the most talented person, but we love to watch these numbskulls and untalented folks get further than you think they would.’
- ‘I'd love to help, but I'm a numbskull about such issues and would hate myself if I gave somebody bad advice.’
- ‘Their children are deep-fried, drug-soaked numbskulls, the adults hapless lemmings in their SUVs, heading straight into the back-end of the American dream.’
- ‘A dealbreaker for me is believing in astrology, which is handy since so many numbskulls blurt out references to astrology very soon after you meet them.’
- ‘If you are the biggest numbskull in the world you will get by on good manners.’
- ‘The Horseshoe is best avoided if there's a Celtic v Rangers match on telly, because it occasionally attracts numbskulls who can't handle their booze.’
- ‘But apparently, the economically semi-literate numbskulls at the New Pravda - and the rest of the mainstream press - still can't be bothered to get the facts straight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.