The branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, especially the positive integers.
- ‘König worked on a wide range of topics in algebra, number theory, geometry, set theory, and analysis.’
- ‘His main research topics were number theory, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
- ‘He worked on convex functions, the Laplace transform, number theory and the mathematical theory of genetics.’
- ‘Other topics he worked on include algebraic geometry, number theory and integral equations.’
- ‘He corresponded with Gabriel Cramer on mechanics, geometry, probability, number theory and the differential and integral calculus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.