One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sign #, used to introduce a number (as in question #2).
- ‘These are marked with a number sign.’
- ‘The positions of these neurons are marked by a number sign and an asterisk, respectively.’
- ‘These are used in the same way, but rather than using a dot before the name, you use a number sign.’
- ‘The two loci marked with a number sign indicate those analyzed by quantitative PCR in the previous study.’
- ‘The advantage of this system of nine number signs and a zero is that it allows for calculations to be easily made.’
- ‘A number sign indicates positions with maximum mutual information content.’
- ‘The number sign indicates nodes with bootstrap values less than 50%.’
- ‘To do stem searching, use a number sign after the word.’
- ‘Letterpress printers have long grouped the ampersand along with other assorted marks (including the asterisk and number sign) under the loose rubric of "allsorts."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.