One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sign affixed to a vehicle displaying its registration details; a license plate.
- ‘An example is the release for the boot lid which is recessed above the rear number plate.’
- ‘The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds asked motorists to record the number of dead insects on their number plate on a journey in June.’
- ‘The eye of the cop is primarily on the number plate of the vehicle.’
- ‘The driver of the wrecker summoned to remove the damaged cars was also charged for not displaying his number plate.’
- ‘It had four doors, windshield wipers, mirrors, exhaust pipe and a number plate.’
- ‘They would use lasers to record the gap between two vehicles over a given distance, their speeds and the number plate of the offending driver.’
- ‘There is no sign of the taxi, only its number plate has been found.’
- ‘His front number plate was ripped off in the collision.’
- ‘The fake number plate has a GB sign on it while the car has a different road tax to Mrs Onifade's own Renault Clio.’
- ‘Photos don't quite do it justice: it looks better both in real life and with a number plate visually breaking it up.’
- ‘It reads a portion of your number plate, and reads it again, works out your speed, and if there is slow traffic it shows up on their system.’
- ‘From next month police will be able to crosscheck automatically a number plate with a list of vehicles without a valid MOT certificate.’
- ‘Other drivers who have registered can key the number plate into their phone.’
- ‘The only sign of Johnson's spending was a people-carrier bearing a personalised number plate in the driveway outside the house.’
- ‘Officers checked his number plate with the DVLA and then issued the fine. Now he must fork out almost half of his weekly pension to pay.’
- ‘As pointed out by a friend of mine, they do not have a number plate at the front, so it would appear that the cameras are there merely to catch the unsuspecting car driver.’
- ‘Why not get a personalised number plate straight from the DVLA?’
- ‘When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again.’
- ‘You will also need an illuminated number plate at the rear of the unit.’
- ‘Mr Clarke says the tolling system could take the form of registering a disc inside the car or reading the number plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.