A small dense spherical structure in the nucleus of a cell during interphase.
- ‘Some cells had conspicuous nucleoli, and others had cytoplasmic clearing.’
- ‘Mature red blood corpuscles are membrane bound and normally devoid of a nucleus, nucleolus, cell organelles, and inclusions.’
- ‘As the cells separated their chromosomes, the nucleolus also appeared to segregate asymmetrically between mother and daughter cells, with the majority in the mother.’
- ‘Microscopically, large neoplastic lymphoid cells with prominent nucleoli and frequent mitotic figures occlude small vessel lumina.’
- ‘The tumor cells were arranged in trabecular and solid patterns with nuclear pleomorphism, prominent nucleoli, and scant basophilic cytoplasm.’
Mid 19th century: from late Latin, diminutive of Latin nucleus inner part, kernel (see nucleus).