Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a nucleus.
- ‘Accommodation, attached to a nucleate service core, reverses the usual convention, so that private quarters are underneath dining and living rooms.’
1 Form a nucleus.
- ‘In the Diff-Quik-stained smear, it became apparent that the cellular fragments were indeed anucleate when compared with nearby nucleated respiratory epithelial cells.’
- ‘Both establishment and maintenance of silencing depend on cis-acting elements known as silencers that nucleate assembly of a SIR complex.’
- ‘Small clusters of ZnSe nucleate in each heptane nanodroplet and fuse into one particle by a process called coalescence.’
- ‘The more complicated nucleated cell appeared about 1.2 billion years ago.’
- ‘Flourishing in the cytoplasm of nearly all nucleated cells, mitochondria are specialized organelles, with their own DNA.’
- 1.1Form around a central area.‘a nucleated village’
- ‘There was also a transition from scattered village life to nucleated settlements.’
- ‘The new nucleated settlements housed tenants whose farms were previously scattered in hamlets or as single holdings.’
- ‘Agulhon worked on the nucleated, walled villages of the Var.’
- ‘To amplify actin binding, we chose polylysine-coated polystyrene particles (PLY-PS), which directly nucleate actin filaments from their surfaces.’
- ‘The historic center, which has evolved from the nucleated village planted by the original English settlers, still anchors the town.’
- ‘Many small towns were little more than nucleated villages, presumably with a market function and often a temple, as with the example of Heybridge in Essex.’
- ‘These data have implications for the emergence of nucleated Oneota groups at Red Wing and Apple River.’
- ‘These trends indicate movement of rural inhabitants to the nucleated centers and reorganization of the Lohmann phase rural political environment.’
- ‘The remaining 20 percent live in rural areas in settlements that vary from dispersed homes and occasional plantations to small nucleated villages.’
- ‘One element now deeply associated with New England - the nucleated village gathered around a central common - did not develop until about 1800.’
- ‘Around the mid-seventh century the processes of transformation that brought about both the definitive dissolution of the ancient landscapes and the emergence of new nucleated hilltop settlements came to maturity.’
- ‘The landscape is treeless and mountainous, deeply cut with fjords and sounds along whose shores nucleated villages lie surrounded by fields and pastures.’
- ‘This was a heavily populated region of numerous towns and nucleated villages, with dispersed patterns of landholding, small parishes and manors, and political power shared between the nobles, rich merchants, and a prosperous gentry.’
- ‘In this region, where the nucleated village was common and royal power was at its most intensive, the incomers often received land in smallish lots, perhaps in tranches as individual Anglo-Saxon thegns were expropriated.’
- ‘The residues crucial for transport and pathogenicity are nucleated in two groups: one around the central channel, and the other on the long intracellular loop.’
- ‘In both urban and rural areas, people tend to live in nucleated settlements surrounding a parish church.’
- ‘The impact of underpopulation and the dispersed location of communities becomes clear when one travels through the countryside for miles and finds clusters of small villages nucleated around small towns.’
- ‘The flexible annual subsistence round of earlier centuries was broken, and within decades, incipient tribes would abandon the Driftless Area and nucleate at agricultural centers at Red Wing and Apple River as the Oneota.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.