Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A war in which nuclear weapons are used.
- ‘Maybe the 12 rating is the result of the lessened threat of nuclear war.’
- ‘Various international crises have occurred in which there has been the risk of nuclear war.’
- ‘The medical reality of nuclear war must inform the political reality of the twenty-first century.’
- ‘The United States was facing the prospect of nuclear war.’
- ‘It is estimated that the US spends $27 billion annually to prepare to fight a nuclear war.’
- ‘He also wrote and lectured extensively on the threat of nuclear war.’
- ‘It was moved there in 1957, amid fears that Washington would be hit in a nuclear war.’
- ‘In such a situation, the US might feel compelled to initiate a nuclear war to defend itself.’
- ‘The possibility of a devastating nuclear war was a real one.’
- ‘Yet there are some factors which could lead to a nuclear war.’
- ‘We don't want an outbreak of a nuclear war.’
- ‘Suppose a terrible event like a nuclear war wiped out half of humanity.’
- ‘They might even propel the subcontinent toward nuclear war.’
- ‘Ten more years in Iraq means ten more years of the heightened possibility of nuclear war.’
- ‘As a child I used to dream horrific nightmares about nuclear war.’
- ‘McClellan must be asked on Monday to state whether plans have been drawn up for George Bush to start a nuclear war.’
- ‘With regard to nuclear powers, the threat of a conventional war growing into a nuclear war will remain.’
- ‘They're building a shelter for long-term use in the event of nuclear war.’
- ‘An interstate conflict could flare into nuclear war at any time.’
- ‘Preparations for war were, perhaps, inhibited by the knowledge that a nuclear war would put an end to British history.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.