Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A couple and their dependent children, regarded as a basic social unit.
household, ménageView synonyms
- ‘The nuclear family is the basic unit of social organization among the Motu.’
- ‘Yet the study also noted that the number of people living alone and single-parent households now outnumber traditional nuclear families.’
- ‘The ideal family unit for most Panamanians is the nuclear family of a married couple and their children.’
- ‘Compared to the general population, a larger proportion of Hispanic households are traditional nuclear families.’
- ‘Although most households now are organized around a nuclear family, there are some extended family households.’
- ‘Families today include nuclear families, single-parent homes, grandparents raising grandchildren, siblings living in various corners of the globe, and more.’
- ‘The basic household unit has increasingly become the nuclear family.’
- ‘Some want to live with extended families, others with nuclear families, some on their own.’
- ‘The basic Croatian family unit is the nuclear family of parents and children living in one home.’
- ‘Perhaps paid leave from work to support mothers could be extended to grandparents or family members outside the nuclear family.’
- ‘The basic family unit is the nuclear family - a husband, a wife, and their unmarried children.’
- ‘The implication is that the married couple and the nuclear family are the ideal form of societal organization and reproduction.’
- ‘Households in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines may be composed of extended families, nuclear families, or individuals.’
- ‘The domestic unit may be either a nuclear family or an extended family.’
- ‘There are also nuclear families, as well as fraternal joint families (households consisting of the nuclear families of two or more brothers).’
- ‘Most households are not nuclear families, but contain other kin as well.’
- ‘The extended family is regarded as ideal, although the nuclear family is also found.’
- ‘In contrast, the social units of long-tailed tits are not nuclear families, and they do not defend territories.’
- ‘Look around you and you'll see many nuclear families - but also step-families, gay partnerships, single parents, unmarried couples with kids and plenty more.’
- ‘As peasants came to the cities in search of work, the nuclear family replaced the extended family.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.