One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cylindrical or round spout at the end of a pipe, hose, or tube used to control a jet of gas or liquid.
head, spray, rose, atomizer, sprinkler, sprinkler head, spout, noseView synonyms
- ‘Most current agricultural sprayers use hydraulic nozzles to meter and atomize the liquid into drops.’
- ‘The solution is delivered to the nozzles via a separate hose line which runs along the boom span using it as a support mechanism to mount each nozzle.’
- ‘A variation of this uses a stream of gas or liquid in the rocket nozzle to divert the exhaust flow.’
- ‘When the liquid flows through the nozzle, the propellant rapidly expands into gas.’
- ‘I can feel the eyes on my back as I grab the hose and insert the nozzle into my car.’
- ‘The rain continued to sprinkle lightly on them as though from the nozzle of a shower hose.’
- ‘Movement was controlled by downward-pointing nozzles which could be directed by the pilot.’
- ‘Complete filling the tank with water, then flush the cleaning solution through the boom, hoses, and nozzles.’
- ‘Water with a sprinkler set to a fine spray or a garden hose with a mist nozzle.’
- ‘Other ideas range from advanced cabin cameras to hidden nozzles that could pump sleeping gas into the fuselage.’
- ‘Hoses would need trigger nozzles, and washing the car on the pavement would be banned, along with using a hose to wash down paths and driveways.’
- ‘An inert gas then propels the liquid through an ultrasonic nozzle that atomizes it.’
- ‘Major oil companies have recently agreed to standardise the colour of their nozzles and hoses for unleaded and diesel pumps to reduce customer confusion.’
- ‘The chocolate dipped shortbread should have been piped with a fluted nozzle.’
- ‘To increase performance, some low pressure spray nozzles are mounted on drop tubes below the pivot pipeline.’
- ‘The soft batter is piped through a star nozzle into hot oil.’
- ‘Set your hose nozzle to a fine mist so the water can soak in without causing erosion or disturbing the seeds.’
- ‘The opening and closing of the fuel injector nozzles is controlled by a solenoid valve.’
- ‘Design for winter operation must include self-draining pipes and winter nozzles if sprinkler irrigation is used.’
- ‘Its accessories include the necessary hoses, wands, nozzles, hydrant adapters and an injector.’
Early 17th century: from nose + -le.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.