One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short novel or long short story.
- ‘The ghost story genre may be broadly defined as comprising short stories or, less commonly, novels or novellas which have as their central theme the power of the dead to return and confront the living.’
- ‘Pirandello excelled, too, in the art of writing novellas, and put together a great number of short stories, often using themes and ideas from them in adaptations which later supplied plots for longer dramatic works.’
- ‘Few writers move so effortlessly from the gothic tale to the psychological thriller to the epic family saga to the lyrical novella.’
- ‘I mean that in a good way, for the most part: I really like being able to buy individual short stories or novellas as well as entire collections of shorter work.’
- ‘In the last 25 years, he's published more than three dozen short stories, as well as a dozen novellas and novels.’
- ‘The result is eight short stories and a novella, all set in the Caribbean where he was the Chicago Tribune's correspondent for seven years.’
- ‘It was a completed something, not quite a novel, but not really a novella either.’
- ‘He published fourteen novels, sixteen plays, 402 short stories and three novellas.’
- ‘With 24 novels, various novellas, articles, short stories, non fiction books and countless credits under his belt, it might be strange to find such a celebrated author finding solace in the North West of Ireland.’
- ‘Asher has previously published four other works, two novellas and two short story collections, Gridlinked is his first full length novel.’
- ‘He has since written short stories, a novella, novels and even a thriller set in the Pacific.’
- ‘Her novels, therefore, can best be described as long short stories or novellas.’
- ‘His opera Mario and the Magician, based on a novella by Thomas Mann, was given its premiere by the Canadian Opera Company in 1992.’
- ‘I thought I'd published one novella and three short stories last year.’
- ‘Whilst in Bulgaria, he has written four novels, three novellas, many short stories and has also found time to write a weekly arts review for The Sofia Echo.’
- ‘Five-paragraph essays aren't like term papers, which aren't like journals, which aren't like research papers, which aren't like short stories, which aren't like novellas.’
- ‘Some of the recognized sub-genres of fiction include novels, short stories and novellas.’
- ‘In fact, the novellas in Publish and Perish were supposed to be short stories.’
- ‘Between 1933 and 1939, he produced fifty-four short stories and twenty novels / novellas in serialized form under such pen names as Samuel I.’
- ‘This is a very short book - a novella really - which is all about books, and the extent to which they can dominate the bibliophile's life.’
Early 20th century: from Italian, ‘novel’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.