One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The decade from 2000 to 2009.
- ‘Life's general ‘business’ and stress has made depression one of the top illnesses of the noughties.’
- ‘The sixties might have seen the pill as the catalyst for sexual liberty amongst women, but in the noughties, women have relied on the availability of emergency contraception, and now the demand is to have it over-the-counter.’
- ‘That outburst has emerged in the noughties, a decade in which the initiative for innovation has begun to pass from America to Asia.’
- ‘Maybe the naughty noughties won't be such a cultureless decade after all.’
- ‘Back in the early noughties I got involved with a dotcom startup.’
- ‘The crazy nineties are giving way to the nonplussed noughties.’
- ‘It wasn't exactly terrific reading, and they grew out of it by the time the noughties came along.’
- ‘Back on the dark streets of noughties Britain, underage drinking has become a modern epidemic.’
- ‘So could Prosecco be to the noughties what Chardonnay was to the '90s?’
- ‘Finding the ideal love match has never been more difficult for the ‘have-it-all’ generation of the noughties.’
- ‘Finally, they remind audiences in the noughties that Australia has a long and proud film heritage for which we have fought successfully in the past - and which deserves to be recognised and protected in the present.’
- ‘But twentysomethings could do more to spark some life back into the grey noughties.’
- ‘But here and now in the noughties, Governments do care.’
- ‘If the ‘90s were the decade of the Internet, the noughties could well be the decade of the mobile.’
- ‘I don't mean one of those wildly speculative punts, common in the early noughties, when sellers added 20% to the price and got away with it.’
- ‘This may be eighties rock, but its audience are well and truly noughties kids.’
- ‘With The Last Broadcast, Doves have consolidated their position as a credible and commercial band of the noughties.’
- ‘No longer is the Tory party what it was in the 90s and early noughties - a preserve of old men who have something of the night about them, seeming Vulcans or sexless husks readily satirised with grey underpants outside their trousers.’
- ‘But perhaps the generation of the noughties, like that of the sixties, is starting to realise that cynical detachment just gets you screwed.’
- ‘Concrete Jungle could be a noughties update on The Specials classic with which it shares its title.’
1990s: from nought, on the pattern of twenties, thirties, etc..
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.