One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A candy made from sugar or honey, nuts, and egg white.
- ‘They also keep bees and produce honey and nougat.’
- ‘There are a few quite original artisans at work in the town, but it is mostly tourist shops selling pocket-sized cross-bows, knight-in-armour radios and Carcassonne walls made of nougat.’
- ‘Baking is somewhat less important in Mediterranean countries, where nut and sugar confections such as nougat sustain the sweet toothed.’
- ‘In France they chop them into nougat and praline.’
- ‘The chocolate was thin, slightly bitter, and in the centre was the most delicious nougat I'd ever eaten.’
- ‘I went to Tesco and came back with a bar of Bertie Bassett's soft nougat.’
- ‘To begin with, it was all puddings and cakes and sweets, and I would make fudge, toffee, nougat.’
- ‘I also like long walks in the rain, shopping, strong yet sensitive men who don't mind expressing their feelings, country music, nougat, soap operas, and cashmere sweaters with bright monograms.’
- ‘Those who are allergic to dairy have to look out for words like whey, lactose, caseinates, nougat, hydrolysates, and even some margarines contain milk protein.’
- ‘By the time we got to the hotel there were only two bits of nougat left to eat - everything had been cleared away.’
- ‘Cut nougat into 1 X 1 X 2-inch slices and place one on each plate.’
- ‘There is mango pulp from Gujurat, tahini from Damascus, nougat from Lahore and Heinz baked beans.’
- ‘A favorite Palestinian candy is halvah, a sweet nougat made of sesame seeds and honey.’
- ‘That includes the ever-popular plum cake, plum pudding and Yule log, marzipans glittering with a coat of sugar, and delightful creations such as nougat, truffle and gateaux.’
- ‘After all, if you're simply looking for a recipe for honey-almond nougat, spending a bit of time using search engines or browsing various recipe sites is quite reasonable.’
- ‘He also produced the iced nougat, which alone would merit a major detour on any holiday to France.’
- ‘Other desserts include bananas or papaya in caramel and cream sauce, bread pudding with custard, coconut or banana tarts, delicious coconut sorbet, and a mean coconut nougat.’
- ‘That seems easy enough, but to address something of such monumental importance as candy you must take a closer look at the minute differences that separate say peanut butter filled chocolate eggs from nougat filled chocolate eggs.’
- ‘This promised the delights of creme caramel, homemade French nougat, ice-cream and pancakes.’
- ‘Down the glen, at Montelimar, chestnuts are combined with local almonds and honey to make the nougat.’
Early 19th century: from French, from Provençal nogat, from noga ‘nut’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.