Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Well known; famous.‘the restaurant is noted for its high standards of cuisine’‘a noted patron of the arts’
renowned, well known, famous, noteworthy, notable, of note, important, recognizedeminent, famous, well known, famed, prominentView synonyms
- ‘A most amiable and kindly man, he was held in very high esteem and was a noted character in the area.’
- ‘The idea is to popularise Kannada literature by singing compositions of noted poets of the State.’
- ‘We asked a group of noted authors to describe the books that shaped their characters.’
- ‘Eric himself is a well known trainer, jockey and was a noted showjumper in his day.’
- ‘The noted psychologist, C.J. John's advice to the children was to learn from life.’
- ‘An analysis of some published reviews of each book usually by noted reviewers or authors is also included.’
- ‘The late Paddy Mickey as he was known was one class act and he was a noted personality all his life and was held in high esteem by all.’
- ‘The workshop will be conducted under the direction of noted artist M.S. Murthy.’
- ‘A noted sportsman in his early years he was also a member of the Town Council in Loughrea in the late forties.’
- ‘He was a noted musician and was renowned for his ability to play the flute which earned him recognition far and wide.’
- ‘Alexander, a former vice chancellor and a noted high-jumper were all honoured that day.’
- ‘Sir David Steel gave an address at the memorial service for Nigel Tranter, the noted author who died in January.’
- ‘Soon a prominent producer, a noted director and their friends rushed to the rescue of the students.’
- ‘But aside from that Tom was an artist of great talent and also a noted singer in the USA.’
- ‘Father Yvon was also a noted writer, the author of several books about the sea.’
- ‘Keynes was a member of the Bloomsbury Group and a noted patron of the arts.’
- ‘A noted man of letters paid a brief visit to Killoran's Bar last week to look up an old friend.’
- ‘The noted artist has been teaching in their classrooms for about eight years.’
- ‘It is a replica of Auberge de Castile, a noted architectural landmark in Valletta Harbour.’
- ‘By 1960, she had produced Jameson's Raid, becoming a noted historian in her fifties.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.