One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a manual gear-changing mechanism) difficult to use because the lever has to be moved accurately (as if into a narrow notch).
- ‘However, the pedals are still offset to the left and the fascia-mounted gear change is as notchy as it ever was.’
- ‘I found the manual rather notchy, with a fairly long throw between changes.’
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
- ‘That ‘low mileage, one owner, town car’ may seem like a good idea but you'll often find that a life spent covering short journeys also results in a notchy gearbox, worn suspension and a tight engine.’
- ‘The gearbox is also a bit Jekyll and Hyde - it slides smoothly and effortlessly into lower gears but fifth gear is a bit notchy and I have a bit of a tussle to engage it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.