One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in introducing a further factor to be considered.‘the rent had to be paid, not to speak of school tuition’
- ‘Of course, hockey remains deep within Indian hearts in these quadrennial sojourns, but the events leading up to the Games, not to speak of the record against top teams in recent months, do not inspire confidence.’
- ‘Italy needs honest administration, decent public services and accountable government, not to speak of jobs for its unemployed, which the old order failed to provide.’
- ‘The sidewalk festival, now in its 38th year, attracts 300 regional and national artists - not to speak of the 50,000 visitors.’
- ‘Similar markets exist for paper writing and other tasks, not to speak of the large market in pre-written papers.’
- ‘In other words - and honestly - the children's writer does not have the kind of freedom, not to speak of license, which the writer for the grown up has.’
- ‘The reception of this effervescence abroad varied from country to country, but no major culture in the West, not to speak of Japan, was altogether exempt from it.’
- ‘For the vast majority of free women, not to speak of slave women, the treasured elite concepts of seclusion and isolation which were the foundations of virginity were not possible.’
- ‘The city, he stated, stood to benefit from the large sum that the War Department was prepared to spend on the conversion of the airport into a military field, not to speak of the new facility's annual payroll.’
- ‘Although the appellant is a Punjabi, the Punjabi people are to be found all over India, not to speak of all over the world.’
- ‘Plainly, the existence of French Canada, and of Quebec as a province with a francophone majority, not to speak of a distinct historical lineage, introduced a persistent ambiguity into any concept of a Canadian nation-state.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.