One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not in the smallest degree; not at all.‘he was not in the least taken aback’
by no means, by no manner of means, not at all, in no way, not in the least, not in the slightest, not the least bit, certainly not, absolutely not, definitely not, on no account, under no circumstancesView synonyms
- ‘We are apt to say - ‘It is not in the least likely that having been through the supreme crisis, I shall turn now to the things of the world.’’
- ‘And it is not in the least implausible - provided you're with us up to now - that the whole kit-and-kaboodle should fight like wildcats before the island is finally freed.’
- ‘The guy who checked me in could not have been nicer, a really pleasant fellow who was not in the least bit snobby.’
- ‘The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.’
- ‘It was not in the least dignified.’
- ‘The athletes, in the minds of the press and the organizations, are not in the least innocent until proven guilty.’
- ‘The land is not in the least bit fertile and yet the cattle herds grow larger and larger.’
- ‘He was quite abashed at finding herself discovered, and grew very red; but the old nurse was not in the least discomfited.’
- ‘He has no very grave quarrel with it; he does not in the least wish to crucify it; only, he cannot believe it.’
- ‘When the coffin was opened the legs of the body were found tied together with yellow ribbon but, more frightening, the body was not in the least decomposed; in fact the face had a rosy complexion, although the course of the bullet that had killed him, from the jaw through the head, was clearly visible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.