One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The part of a helmet or headdress that protects a person's nose.
- 1.1North American another term for noseband
- ‘They really didn't fit properly: her muzzle was too broad for the nosepiece.’
- 1.2 The central part of a pair of glasses that fits over the bridge of the nose.
- ‘Beretta's new Deluxe Shooting Glasses feature replacement nosepieces, nylon case and three interchangeable lenses in smoke, vermilion and yellow.’
- ‘This could probably be helped by some rubber pieces on the nosepiece and by the ears to reduce sliding.’
- ‘The rubberized, non-slip nosepiece was easy to bend to fit.’
- 1.1North American
2The part of a microscope to which the objective lenses are attached.
- ‘The motorized nosepiece of a Zeiss Axiovert 135 inverted microscope allowed the objective to be automatically changed from 40X to 2.5X during macro execution.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.